Second Shift A Cappella is a vocal group based in the Triangle. The group formed in 2007, and has taken advantage of the growing popularity of “a cappella” music from breakout groups like Pentatonix and movies like Pitch Perfect 2. Their members live throughout the area and have diverse musical backgrounds, with many having sung in vocal groups in college or with other organizations. They do song covers from the last thirty years, with a wide variety of musical styles.
- Founding Member
- Musical Co-Director Spring 2007, Fall 2007, Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Fall 2010, Fall 2017
- Administrative Director Spring 2008, Spring 2013
- Business Director Spring 2012, Fall 2013, Spring 2016, Spring 2017
- Member since June 2017
Amitha is an optimistic alto from Morrisville. She has been singing with Second Shift since June of 2017. Amitha’s musical background includes singing a cappella for six years with Saint Louis University’s Beyond All Reason and Duke’s Something Borrowed Something Blue, playing any instrument she can get her hands on, and always harmonizing to the radio. When not singing, Amitha enjoys all things Harry Potter, playing volleyball, and guessing the endings of shows and movies. She also lives a double life as a mad scientist.
- Member since August 2017
Chris is a boisterous bass from Cary, NC. He has been singing with Second Shift since August of 2017. Chris’s musical background includes 3 years in his college a Capella group, the UNC Tarpeggios, and one year in his high school a Capella group and Chamber Choir. He also plays Guitar, Piano, Ukulele and Alto Sax. When not singing, Chris enjoys perpetually trying to get in shape, engaging in pretentious film analysis, and watching/re-watching Survivor with his equally nerdy friends.
- Member since July 2014
- Musical Co-Director Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2017
Freddy is a soaring, agile, and lyrical tenor 1/vocal percussionist from Charlotte, who spends too much time thinking of appropriate and inappropriate adjectives for himself. Having spent relatively little time focusing on singing in high school, in college he threw himself into choir, musical theater, and a cappella music with an imprudent level of enthusiasm. He is also the youngest member ever accepted by Second Shift, and has been informed that he is first member born in the 90’s which he thinks is just fine thank you very much. When not singing, he loves reading, cooking, arguing with strangers on the Internet, and descending into debauchery.
- Member since January 2007
- Musical Co-Director Fall 2007, Fall 2008, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2013, Spring 2014, Fall 2015, Spring 2016
- Business Director Spring 2008, Fall 2010
- Member since June 2015
- Musical Co-Director Fall 2016
- Member since February 2012
- Musical Co-Director Spring 2012, Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Spring 2015
- Business Director Fall 2017
- Member since March 2017
- Member since June 2016